Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 10



Our theme for this month at my calligraphy guild was Beauty and the Beast. We were encouraged to think outside the box. I have been doing a Beth Moore Bible study on Esther, and I realized that Esther and Haman provided the perfect beauty and the beast picture. In this piece, the dark green block of lettering is scripture describing Haman. The wispy cream lettering introduces Esther, and the blocky lettering running up the side shares one of the main themes of the book. I like the ideas but if I were to do it again, I would execute it differently. The dark lettering was made with a Pentel watercolor brush, but I would have preferred using gouache. The Esther lettering needs to be more prominent, and I would have chosen a background that didn't fight with the words so much. Good practice, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment